Sunday 10 September 2017

Day 4

Dearest Hannah

We have managed to reach day four of our letters and I still feel like this is something wonderful. It gives me time in the day to solely focus my day on just you and you alone. For you, I know it is a beautiful piece set apart in your day to look forward to.


Today has been a weird one. We haven’t spoken much but it has also been because we both have stuff going on.

I went to church this morning with Will. It was another baptism and you know how I am with those anyway.
The service itself was, as this week has shown, very poignant. It was talking about the fact that everyone is different. It doesn’t matter where they came from or what they are like but we should cherish the difference in them and try and find a way to connect, relate and work together. The talk was based upon a story of two brothers and a carpenter. (I have linked it there in case you want to see it) It got me thinking about us and this week. I know I have had moments this week where I have felt so different in the way I do things. It made me feel isolated because I couldn’t be like everyone else.

The thing is that at the beginning of the story there was a simple misunderstanding which grew and tore the brothers apart. It was something that we were trying to work through ourselves; how often did we discuss that distance can make or break us? All from something that could be easily misunderstood. Yet, it made me smile because of the bridge; you help create a bridge for me and the rest of the world by helping understand the different aspects I don’t get. You also are the bridge for me in making me feel less different by actually understanding me and seeing where I am coming from, especially within some simple misunderstandings! Finally, it made me feel that God is a bridge for both of us in our situation. We have been speaking about how we both feel that God is in our relationship and working for our better future and how, since dating me, that your faith has been kick started again. Knowing that, despite some misunderstandings that we may have because of distance and technology, we have that connection with God’s blessing.
We also haven’t spoken much because we both have been out with friends. I went to go see mine after church and you went for dinner. Finally, you haven’t been feeling too well and we think you might be fighting a virus so you have been sleeping more.

The latter point I find both hard and sad. It is moments like this where I wish I was with you to help with the kids, to clean and tidy and to look after you in any way that I can; even if that means doing the other bits so you can just sleep!
But, we do live this long distance relationship and this problem will crop up occasionally.

The thing is that our future is close. It may at times, like today, seem ages away but it isn’t. We have so much to look forward to and I can’t wait to experience it all with you; the beauty of each moment will make the time fly by. Ultimately, we will spend the rest of our lives together, so what is 10 months in comparison?
I am a bit late today in writing this letter but I am pleased that I have had time to squeeze it in between the busy day we have had, putting the kids to bed and our evening phone call.

I love how different elements have grown within our relationship. I know we always had a place for each other and calling to chat at the end of the day but I love that we now watch a programme together whilst being on the phone. I’m sure this won’t happen every night, like it hasn’t this week, and other things will get in the way and we will just chat like normal but I love knowing that we have a connection in those moments. Last night had a priceless one when we watched Master Chef and the woman, I still can’t remember her name as I cared that little about her¸ was annoying us and we both said exactly the same sentence at the same time. It made me smile and has continued to do so throughout the day.
I also love how we do a small video chat before bed. For so long now, despite maybe not actually going to sleep, I have made sure that you are the last person I talk to before I go to sleep. Yet, now that we do this and I get to see your face it makes me not want to ever sleep without knowing your face is the last I see.

What is clear is that we have this amazing relationship that is continually growing and with that we keep having a growing connection that we haven’t had before.
Little things like that may only be a drop throughout the day but for me creates a massive ripple in the greater ocean of us.

You have literally just called so I best go before you tell me off not listening properly (Such a nag ;) )
As always, you are my love.

Love you,
Martyn