Friday 15 September 2017

Day 9


Dearest Hannah,
Day 9 and to be honest I didn’t think I would end up writing this letter but I knew that I had to even if it was to not break my writing streak!

Today has been hard just like yesterday was. I really didn’t want it to be this tough but it is. I wanted to be all bright, shiny and happy for you but I wasn’t.
It is weird because I can’t exactly pinpoint why I feel like I do. There are, of course, a few things that I am feeling but equally nothing that feels like a specific trigger for it.

You mentioned last night in your letter that we seem to take it in turns and that is very true. It is either me or you; which is quite lucky as I am sure it would be difficult if it was both of us!
The thing I don’t want is to be a chore or frustrating.

I worry that as we are so far away from each other that the thought of me having a day that I am struggling is frustrating for you. I worry that it is difficult for you to deal with. I know that I can be hard work at times and I can often get caught up in things with my mental health that make it harder. Yet, you are wonderful, caring and lovely that you do all you can to support me but I worry that you will be frustrated and fed up if I end up having another low day. I doubt very much that you will be but the worry of “Oh, he is being such a downer at the moment and there is little I can do. It is getting me down that he can’t go back to happy Martyn, the man I love” is still there in my thoughts.
The thing is I can pinpoint two very clear things: 1, I am missing you, a lot. 2, I can feel a lot of my dpd involved in my day.

I don’t know why or where the sudden pang of missing you to this degree has come from. Yet, I have woken twice now feeling your absence massively. Yet, I know there isn’t a lot that either of us can do about it. You are there, I am here and we have to just plod on with our day. I am missing that connection we have, the way we fit with each other, your laugh, the way you smile and and your eyes light up and I miss the way your hand feels on mine.
Yet, my worries, fears and traits seem to be prevalent. The worries I get when my dpd is flaring which would also explain all the other factors that I am having too. I have no idea why or how they would be triggered but it definitely feels like a flare up!

I know this isn’t what you want to hear or read but you know that I am always honest with you.
You have been great, especially today, with me. You have been only a text or a call away to support me despite all of the above and I do truly love you for that. I just get how frustrating it is and when you are feeling good and having a good week.

I was reminded last night at church group that we all have our cross to bear and some have a harder life ahead of them than others. I do, in some ways, find comfort in that. Mostly as God said He would never give any one person more than they can deal with; so this must be something positive of my character and strength. I just wish the switch could click, this could disappear and I could go back to the way I have been. I might be able to bear these problems but I really don’t want them today or tomorrow for that.
I do know it will pass, it always does, and I will feel better and more like me again. Just need to ride it out and maybe not concentrate or talk about it as much.

What I have realised today though is that your mood has changed and somewhat because of me. I don’t want you being affected like I am when I am like this! I want you to enjoy the good you have done and experienced this week and be happy!
I have been so proud of all that you have done this week. Going into work when you didn’t feel like it, challenging your issues with what you were eating, create and help with the kid’s homework, enjoy spending time with the kids whilst having fun, get on top of your housework and cleaning and to have a clear goal for meal planning. All of this and still being an amazing mum and partner; I couldn’t be more happy and proud of you!

It is only a few more days until I am down and I am really hoping that my mood shifts, your mood is good and we can have a fantastic few days together and revel in the small amount of time that we have.
I do love you so much. This long distance thing is hard, on both of us at times, but it is all for the good long term; we do have that long term goal and a very happy future ahead and I wouldn’t do anything to jeopardise that future.

You asked earlier if it was too much for me. I think you worry about me in this scenario, which, if reversed, I would be the same. But I don’t want you thinking that it would be better for me, or a kindness, without you and without this distance because I am going through this with the hope of us this time next year. Harder days and weeks will happen but these things will change and we are still perfect for each other.
I love you and I miss you. Thank you for being amazing, loving, understanding and supportive. You still are my God given gift.

Love you,
Martyn